Stuff Me, that was a good One!

Updated: Oct 1

A few stats and dot points for starters:


This was the third week in a row that we have cracked 25 musos. Stop mucking about, Captain Chaos is exhausted.


The finale for this session was a cracking Santana number, followed by “Moondance” with 12 musos up at once. Equals our biggest ever line-up. They couldn’t see the folks on the other side of the Bar, dancing…


If you count young Grace bopping away, it actually exceeds our biggest line-up. Grace is all of three which makes her our second youngest performer. Marley still the youngest, by a short head.


This week saw the smallest line-up of saxophonists for ages. Well, Jeff isn’t that small, and neither is Alan. The Captain is at least medium but you get the drift.. Come to think of it, Jeff didn’t even play his sax, only floot…Those boys had a ball, and played damn well.


The Captain, mortified by last week’s rhythm section taking the piss, launched into a spirited rendition of “Four” again. One of the other saxophonists scored it a 3.5. Those boys are savage on each other.


While the musos were playing, we “worked the room”, and gave out around 50 of the new cards. Happy little audience – we reckoned there were 80+ peeps in the bar.


Special mention for Kevin, who sang one of the hardest ballads going around – “Lush Life” by Billy Strayhorn. Slawie (bass) and I aged several years in the process, but it all hung together. Bravo.


Nicole was a first timer, jumping in on the spur of the moment. One of the best to date – Summertime and Fly Me To the Moon fairly standard offerings, but sung beautifully – please come again.


82% of Annie rocked the joint to finish. The other 18% is replacement parts. Indestructible but not, it would seem, irreplaceable. Little does she know we use her as an example of how to sing, entertain, engage an audience and control a band. Quite often, she is a good example.


We haven’t even mentioned Kay, Jane, Yuko, Brian, Susie, Malcolm, John Curtis, Peter Garam, Lisette, Pete, Ivan and Eiji ace bassists, Neil (best guitar in ages) , Alan Richards, Steve Bray, Hussein, Andre, and Jane’s mate from Cairns. You were all spiffin’, mostly, so we won’t mention you now….


Jane is off to the USA, and has promised to send us all a postcard. She has also promised to forget to post it. Have a great trip…


Finally, we had more people than ever come up and say how much they were enjoying the music at The Post. We also had the first negative comment, so let’s not get too excited.


The Wrap: A really, really good session. Positively noisy at times, and increasingly crowded. There seem to be more people coming specifically because of the live music. Several punters thought “the band” was tight and very professional – not realising that this was a walk-up assembly of a motley crew of musos, none of whom take it too seriously, spurred on by a dedicated audience of regulars who should know better, but care not to.


See you next week? Could be a train wreck? Could be good? Ya wouldn’t be dead fer quids!


0 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Jammers Newsletter 22nd Nov

21st November: A pleasant stroll in the Park​ ​ Albert Park, that is. They were even playing bowls at the Bowlo, which, given recent weather, is quite a change. So the Jammers come in and throw a few

Newsletter 18th November 2021

Last week: A little Jam Session​ ​ A dull sort of a day, with a few damp bowlers huddled on the verandah and not a soul in sight on the greens. A good day for joining the jam session, and that is what

Newsletter 5th November 2021

We're Back.. Jazz Jam Sunday 7th November 2021 ​ Clearly, Nate at the Bowls Club has quite forgotten what a dreadful racket we make, and is eagerly awaiting the Jammers return, 4.00pm start, this Sund

  • Facebook
  • Instagram

© 2019. Designed by Jess Dams.